IP for Smart Objects (IPSO) Alliance Charter
Develop, establish, and create the industry leadership of an “IPSO Platform” which includes the definition and support of Smart Objects with an emphasis on object interoperability on protocol and data layers and of Identity and Privacy technologies. The mission is to create a platform and support system that includes libraries, repositories, design kits, and industry awareness for discovery and interoperability of IoT Smart Objects.
The IPSO Alliance is not a standards organization but an alliance that promotes and supports Smart Objects, and manages an IPSO Smart Object Registry that includes libraries, Icons, and repositories to be used by Worldwide Standard Definition Organizations (SDOs), Special Interest Groups (SIGs), Open communities and Original Equipment Manufacturers (OEMs). The creation of a fully functional IPSO Smart Object Registry provides an avenue for industry adoption. IPSO has the goal to create Smart Object definitions, instantiations, data models, design models, reference architectures, Icons, and brand which include all the attributes needed to be an integral component of an IoT Smart Object Marketplace.
The IPSO Platform will promote “Open and Accessible” Smart Objects that can announce the services it is capable of delivering in a way that it is accessible and allow creation of a supply — chain type connection for a complete object lifecycle management including the trust chain based on the object identity.
The Alliance is a global non-profit organization serving the various communities seeking to establish the Internet Protocol as the network for the connection of Smart Objects by providing coordinated marketing efforts available to the general public. Our purpose is to provide a foundation for industry growth through building stronger relationships, fostering awareness, providing education, promoting the industry, generating research, and creating a better understanding of IP and its role in connecting Smart Objects.
- Promote IP as the premier solution for access and communication for Smart Objects.
- Promote the use of IP in Smart Objects by developing and publishing white papers and case studies and providing updates on standards progress from associations like IETF among others and through other supporting marketing activities.
- Understand the industries and markets where Smart Objects can have an effective role in growth when connected using the Internet Protocol.
- Organize interoperability tests that will allow members and interested parties to show that products and services using IP for Smart Objects can work together and meet industry standards for communication.
- Support IETF and other standards development organizations in the development of standards for IP for Smart Objects.
It should be noted that the objective of the Alliance is not to define technologies, but to document the use of IP-based technologies defined at the standard organizations such as IETF with focus on support by the Alliance of various use cases.
In establishing the Alliance one of the subsidiary goals will be to be as efficient as possible in environmental matters and our preference will always be to make appropriate substitutions such as virtual meetings for in-person meetings.